Ludlow St. Journal

Roger Glass Stadium, One Year Later

Paul Wittmann

Dayton, OH – Over six acres of turf and concrete sit at the ready for football, soccer, and lacrosse next to Chaminade Julienne’s main building. It seems like Roger Glass Stadium and Eagle Field are permanent fixtures of the CJ campus, but it was actually only one year ago when the stadium opened. In fact, Google Maps still shows the site with the old gravel lot. So where has the addition of the stadium taken CJ?

Flyover before the opening football game.

Both students and coaches expressed their appreciation for the stadium.  Senior Alex Mayer explained how the complex makes his work in football easier: “It makes practice a lot more convenient while also allowing us to be able to clean up after a hard practice on one of the fields just so we can go right back out there to watch a soccer game where we can support and hang out with our peers.” Ryan Peltier, senior quarterback, remembers the days before the stadium. “It’s different because Wayne’s stadium was very big and Roger Glass is smaller, but we also get a lot more students at all of our sporting events.”

Jasmine Hughes gives a women’s soccer perspective: “We don’t have to ride a bus to get to practice at Dog Leg or home games at Wright State. Also, it gives the soccer team and the other sports teams a chance to create home game/field rituals for before and after the game.” Roy Craig is the head women’s soccer coach, and notes the benefits well outweigh the drawbacks: “The only downsides are that with three fields at Dog Leg we did not have scheduling issues and the varsity and junior varsity teams both had a whole field to practice on.  Now, on campus most of the time the V and JV teams share a field. By far though the convenience of being on campus and having this wonderful facility outweigh the things we miss about the old days. 

Students circling the team after a big win against Fenwick

Alex Vandersluijs, head men’s soccer coach added that “[Roger Glass Stadium] has enhanced the culture of our program. It’s been amazing to see how proud our players of our home field.”

Roger Glass Stadium and Eagle Field have proven their worth over the past year, and will continues to be a strong asset to CJ’s campus and community.