Ludlow St. Journal

Phonathon Season Set To Begin

Paul Wittmann, Writer

DAYTON, OH – Over 14 nights, more than 100 Chaminade Julienne volunteers will be making thousands of calls to alumni and other supporters of the CJ Annual Fund. The Phonathon event is a major part of the Annual Fund success.

The Annual Fund contributes to almost every aspect of life at CJ as tuition alone only covers a little over half the cost to educate a student.  Last year, 3,800 alumni, parents and friends of CJ contributed to the Annual Fund.

Tim Sprowl, a senior at CJ, describes his experiences at Phonathon very fondly.

“I enjoy working Phonathon because I value the relationships I have with alumni as a current student. It is interesting to me to see where people have wound up after their time at CJ.  When people share their CJ experiences, how they are looking forward to coming back to tour CJ’s updated facilities, and how they are staying connected by reading the Annual Report or coming back for the fish fry, I feel connected to an extensive and ever-growing family and community of people whose lives were enriched by CJ.”

Tim also notes that calling alumni gives you good experience on a phone: “CJ’s Phonathon is also a great way to enhance interpersonal skills and improve one’s telephone skills Being able to effectively speak on the phone is somewhat of a lost art in our digital age but is still vital to success in the adult world.” Tim provides some good advice for volunteers as well. “The key to having a rewarding and successful time on the phone is treating the call like a conversation about what is most important about CJ to me and not like a script.

Volunteering at Phonathon is a great way to earn service, and is required for members of National Honor Society, however, anyone is free to sign up and make calls if you are confident and cheerful on the phone.

Many of our alumni return to make these calls to reconnect with their classmates and remind them about upcoming Reunion Weekend activities and serve as an inspiration for our current students, who hopefully one day will do the same.

Phonathon dates in October are the 22, 23, 24, 25, 29, and 30; and November 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12. Students, faculty, parents, and alumni can email Mrs. Bonner at [email protected] to volunteer.