Ludlow St. Journal

Eagles Ready To Make A Difference

Paul Wittmann, Writer

DAYTON, OH – For students, teachers, and faculty at Chaminade Julienne, this weekend will be one of service. Make A Difference Day is a national event in its 26th year, encouraging all people to organize and participate in community service projects. Previously called Join Hands Miami Valley at CJ, October 28th will be a day of service all over the Dayton area.

Many organizations at CJ are participating: Student Council, Women’s Volleyball, Women’s Cross Country, Women’s Basketball, Men’s Cross Country, Eagles for Life, and Men’s Basketball.

Mrs. Kinnear, director of Ministry and Service, said about 170 CJ students have signed up for 15 different sites. This will probably work out to be nearly 600 hours of community service to the Miami Valley.

Senior Katie Kohnen shares that she is very excited for her service for Make a Difference Day: “I am going to Catholic Social Services to help beautify and clean the outside portion of the property downtown. I am going with the women’s cross country team, and I am looking forward to bonding with my team while making a difference in my community… …I’m actually involved with the services at Catholic Social services weekly due to my capstone’s partnership with them. GotVeggies donates to CSS each week to help stock their food pantry with fresh, nutritious produce, and it will be nice to assist CSS in a new way this Friday.”

Samantha Evans is also a CJ senior and commented on the national aspect of Make a Difference Day: “It’s great that this day of service for CJ (as well the entire Dayton community) has been shifted to coincide with the day for the entire nation. Our country has had many devastating natural disasters these past few months and we’ve come together to help everyone out, even if they aren’t close to home, but Make a Difference Day gives us the opportunity to come together to help people out who live right down the street.”

Follow @mdday and @LudlowStJournal on Twitter, and don’t forget to share your service over the weekend! Go out and make the world a better place, Eagles!